Bailey Sanitary Landfill - 5940 Matheson Road
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Monday to Saturday
Closed Sundays and the following 2014 Statutory Holidays:
The Bailey Sanitary Landfill services the City of Chilliwack, District of Kent, Village of Harrison Hot Springs, and Electoral Areas "D" & "E" of the Fraser Valley Regional District, (Popkum, Bridal Falls, Chilliwack River Valley, Columbia Valley and Cultus Lake).
For further information call the City of Chilliwack's Engineering Department at
604-793-2907. No phone number is available to contact the Bailey Landfill directly.
Bailey Landfill is located at 5940 Matheson Road, off Bailey Road.
The following items can be taken to the Bailey Sanitary Landfill for recycling:
- gypsum wallboard
- household batteries
- wet cell batteries
- fridges and freezers
- scrap metal and tin
- wood and yard waste for composting
- propane tanks
- The Municipal Recycling Depot at the Bailey Sanitary Landfill also accepts all items recyclable through the Curbside Recycling Program.
Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Bylaw No. 3602 bans the tipping of various recyclable materials at Bailey Landfill. The intent of this bylaw is to reduce the amount of waste landfilled each year. Hazardous wastes are also banned from the Bailey Sanitary Landfill.
The following materials are banned from the Bailey Sanitary Landfill:
- hazardous waste
- special waste as defined by the BC Ministry of Environment
- biomedial waste, sharps or infectious materials
- flammable, combustible or oxidizing materials
- materials that can be recycled through the Curbside Recycling Program
- beverage containers
- trees, stumps, or large logs (exceeding 15 cm in diameter)
- rubber tires
- motor vehicle bodies and farm implements
- carcasses, offal or viscera
- semi-solid and liquid waste (raw sewage, septic tank sludge, grease trappings)
- industrial or commercial spools
- any single item larger than 3 cubic metres
- waste oil, oil filters or oil containers
Please refer to the Waste Disposal and Recycling Options Chart for information on disposing or recycling various materials, including those listed above.
On March 1, 2014, disposal fees for general refuse (garbage, yard waste, metal) increased. The City of Chilliwack strives to keep fees as low as possible and general refuse disposal rates at the Bailey Sanitary Landfill had not increased since 1991. After an extensive financial review, it was determined that disposal fee increases were necessary in order to cover operating costs.
|Disposal Fees At Bailey Sanitary Landfill (Effective March 1, 2014)|
|Type of Material||Fee*||Unit|
(weighing 0-50 kg)
|$ 5.00||per vehicle|
(weighing 51 kg to 5 tonnes per load)
|$ 87.00||per metric tonne|
(weighing more than 5 tonnes per load)
|$ 82.00||per metric tonne|
|Gypsum for Recycling
(without prohibited contamination)
|$ 125.00||per metric tonne|
|Permitted Special Waste Surcharge
(Waste Mgt. Branch Min. of Environment)
|$ 200.00||per manifest|
* rounded up to the nearest $0.25 where applicable
For a complete list of disposal fees and banned material surcharges, refer to Schedule "F" of the Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Bylaw at the bottom of this page.
|Landfill Disposal Fees - Solid Waste Bylaw Schedule "F"||2014-03-01||14KB|